Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Birds up close and personal

One of the essential pieces of equipment for any serious birder is to have a good pair of binoculars. I don't have an expensive pair. They only cost me just over $200. For the really fussy, or the well-heeled, fanatic birder, the cost can be as high as $2000 or more. I will just say that I would hate to drop such an expensive piece of equipment - or have it stolen or lost. 

In fact, most bird lovers get along perfectly well just watching birds with their eyes only. Everyone can enjoy the birds in their gardens without the expense of buying special equipment. On the other hand, just a reasonably priced pair of binoculars - say up to $500 - will certainly give you a fresh appreciation of the beauty and colour in the birds of our world.

Another piece of equipment I enjoy having is a camera with a powerful zoom lens. All of the photos shown here are as a result of using a Canon PowerShot SX20. The 20 refers to the 20x zoom. I am able to manipulate the photos on my computer to further enhance the photos. This powerful zoom enables me to take much closer shots of the birds I see. And I love sharing them here and on my other site Trevor's Birding.

Sometimes, I get the photo just right and the result is amazing. The zoom enables me to get up  to birds really close and personal - without scaring them away. 

Further reading:



Australian Magpie-lark

Australian Magpie-lark

No comments: