Tuesday, June 05, 2018

World Environment Day

Eastern Rosella

2018 World Environment Day

I haven't posted here in quite some time due to family reasons. Now that life is settling down again for me, I intend posting more often and hopefully more regularly than in times past.

Today is World Environment Day. I can't recall ever posting anything special on this day, so this could be a first for me. I really enjoy the Australian environment where I live. My home is on the edge of a large country town in South Australia. A significant part of my property is covered in natural scrubland, so I am aware of the birdlife in particular on a daily basis. I always have my camera at the ready.

Last week while I was washing the dishes, I looked out the window to where I have placed several bird baths. In the warmer months of the year, there is a steady progression of birds coming for a drink or a bath. Over the years, this proximity to the bird life of my garden has been a source of much pleasure. It has also allowed me to get a good collection of wonderful photos.

Even in the cooler months, there is an occasional visit to the bird baths. The Eastern Rosella shown above and below was one such individual last week. It took its time having a drink so I was able to fetch my camera and get several lovely photos.

Eastern Rosellas are not native to this part of South Australia. It is a common species in the eastern states of Australia and they do occur naturally in the south-east of our state. They have been introduced to the Adelaide region which is about 80 kilometres west of my home. Either they are extending their range, or this individual has escaped from someone's aviary. I have seen it almost daily for the last few years, so it must consider my garden as its home.

Eastern Rosella, Murray Bridge, South Australia

Eastern Rosella, Murray Bridge, South Australia

1 comment:

Trevor said...

I love these beautiful photos of a beautiful bird.