Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Impromptu Bird Bath


Eastern Rosella (L) and Mallee Ringneck (R)

This year in South Australia we have had well below average rain in many areas. This includes Murray Bridge where I live. A few weeks ago we did have some rain but we are still well below average to this time of the year. Many of the local farmers are desperately in need of a good soaking rain so that they can get on with sowing their cereal crops for this year.

After any substantial amount of rain, several puddles of water form in my driveway. I have intended to fill these hollows with some extra gravel, but now I am not so sure that this is a wise thing to do. Many different species of birds like to have a quick dip in these ephemeral waterholes. 

After the recent rain, the two birds shown in the photo took full advantage of the extra birdbath in my garden. They decided on an impromptu bath and they appeared to really enjoy the extra bathing facilities. They lingered long enough for me to get the camera and take a few photos out through the kitchen window.

The bird on the right is an Australian Ringneck parrot, sub-species Mallee Ringneck. It is a common species in this area and I regard it as a resident bird in my garden. I see - or hear - the five of six resident birds every day. This species has also nested in a hollow of a tree just a few metres from my office where I am writing this. I can hear the birds chattering away as I type.

The bird on the left has a stranger background. This Eastern Rosella is a ring-in. Although it has kept company with the Mallee Ringneck in my garden for the last two years, it is not native to this area. Although it is relatively common in the Adelaide region about 70 kilometres to the west of here, the species there is an introduced one. Their natural range is throughout the eastern states of Australia and through to the south-east of South Australia. I have concluded that, although they may be extending their range, I suspect that this individual has either escaped from someone's aviary, or it was released by someone locally.

Whatever the reason, I love seeing this beautiful bird in my garden.

For more stories about and photos of Australian birds go to Trevor's Birding here.

1 comment:

Trevor said...

Birds often amaze me with their ability to enjoy opportunities like this.