Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Getting crowded at our bird bath

White-browed Woodswallow (L), Magpie Lark (C) and Brown-headed Honeyeater (R)

Over recent posts on this site I have mentioned how hot it has been here in South Australia this summer. Some of our heat waves have broken records in many places. We have also had several major bush fires in our state.

On hot days I am especially careful to maintain fresh, clean water in our various bird baths in our garden. I know that the birds appreciate having plenty of fresh water to drink, and to bathe in during the warm weather. They also seem to like the water supplied no matter what the temperature.

On one occasion several weeks ago I took the photo above showing three different species at the bird bath at the one time. This happens more often than one might think. On a hot day I have counted up to a dozen or more species using the water in a very short space of time, such as a ten minute period. On this occasion we had (from the left) a White-browed Woodswallow, an Australian Magpie-lark, and a Brown-headed Honeyeater.

You can read more about Australian birds on my other site Trevor's Birding

No comments: