Wednesday, March 16, 2016

A little birding in Peterborough


Western Grey Kangaroo
Last year we spent a few days visiting relatives in Peterborough, a small town in the mid north of South Australia. This is an interesting area for birding. Birders can see many of the bird species seen further south, but there will always be a few species better known from the drier inland regions of the state.

During our visit it was extremely cold with heavy frosts every morning. Peterborough usually gets a light sprinkling of snow every few years. It is one of the coldest areas in the state. Consequently I did not get out all that often to do some birding. Okay - so I like the warmth of home.

One one afternoon I did venture out for a few hours. This I mainly spent in the nature reserve just to the north of the town. The wildflowers were out in force and I managed quite a few good photos of them. The birding was a little slow, but I managed a few good shots of the Australian Ringnecks (see below) and one of a Western Grey Kangaroo (see above), which are common in this area.

The Australian Ringnecks (race Mallee Ringneck) are common in the area too. Other parrot species I would expect to see include:
Please note that in the Peterborough district I have not seen all of these species listed.

Click on the links in colour to read about those species.


Australian Ringneck parrot (Mallee Ringneck)

Australian Ringneck parrot (Mallee Ringneck)



Australian Ringneck parrots (Mallee Ringnecks)


No comments: