Thursday, December 03, 2015

Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike

Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike

I must admit that the Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike is one of my favourite Australian birds. I am not really sure why this is so.

It could be the soft, subtle colours of the plumage.

It could be that I like its soft, musical, churring call as it flies overhead, or perches in a nearby tree.

It could be that, although this species is found all over Australia, including Tasmania, I don't see it that often.

It could be that I could not honestly call this a resident species on our five acre property near Murray Bridge in South Australia, because at best, I can only classify this as an occasional visitor, so it is special when one passes through our property.

It could be that I just like the bird - and leave it at that.

What I can say is that in over 30 years of living here, to my knowledge this photo shows the only individual of this species to have ever visited one of our bird baths. That's special.

The origins of the family name is a mystery. Despite their name they are neither cuckoos nor shrikes. 

You can read more about Australian birds and see more photos of them on my other site about Australian birds on Trevor's Birding.

No comments: