Thursday, October 22, 2015

Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo


Art work depicting a Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo

One of the interesting aspects of a visit to the Laratinga Wetlands in Mt Barker, South Australia is the new art installation in the picnic area. On my recent visit I saw these art works - four of them - for the first time. The one below depicts an Aboriginal Elder, reflecting the importance of these lands to the traditional owners.

The art work shown above depicts one of the significant bird species of this area, the large and noisy Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo. These birds are frequently seen flying overhead in this part of the Adelaide Hills, often in small groups up to a half dozen, and occasionally in larger flocks from a dozen or so through to a hundred of more. Elsewhere, in the south east of the state, I once saw a flock I estimated to be over 300; the noise they made was deafening as they flew overhead.

I invite readers to check out my other site about Australian birds - Trevor's Birding.

Art work depicting an Aboriginal Elder

No comments: