Thursday, October 08, 2015

Superb Fairy-wren Laratinga Wetlands

Male Superb Fairy-wren

On my visit to the Laratinga Wetlands a few weeks ago I saw many Superb Fairy-wrens. They were hopping around on the paths around the ponds and in and out of the many bushes, over the lawned picnic areas and along the edges of the water.

Trouble is, they rarely sit still for more than a fraction of a second. Getting a camera to lock on a good focus within good range would seem easy, considering the numbers of these beautiful little birds - but it's harder than you think. Frustratingly hard, in fact.

After many failed attempts - and blank, or blurred - images I managed two reasonable shots of one, sort of, obliging coloured male, albeit rather briefly. I'll just have to go back a few more times and have another attempt - or two, or three...

Laratinga Wetlands is on the eastern edge of Mt Barker in the Adelaide Hills, South Australia.

You can see more of my bird photos on Trevor's Birding, another site I write for.
Male Superb Fairy-wren

No comments: