Thursday, July 09, 2015

Mallard Ducks

Mallard Ducks at Victoria Park, Peterborough, South Australia

My wife and I recently visited family in Peterborough in the mid-north of South Australia. During our stay I drove around town taking a few photos. I always try to find time to visit Victoria Park which is an artificial lake and park next to the swimming pool and caravan park.

This park, and the lake in particular, always has some resident birds including a collection of ducks and other water birds. There is currently a loose flock of about 30 ducks of varying breeds, mostly non-native, including the Mallards shown in today's photo. This species is an introduced species in Australia and is common in parks and gardens where there is water. They often interbreed with our native species such as the Pacific Black Duck.

For more photos and articles about Australian birds visit my other site Trevor's Birding here.

No comments: