Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Diamond Firetail Finches, Capertee Valley


Diamond Firetail

On our visit last year to Sydney, we came home a different way. Instead of travelling straight home to Murray Bridge, we detoured via Lithgow, Mudgee, Dunedoo, Cobar and Broken Hill. From Lithgow to Mudgee we detoured through the Capertee Valley, one of the birding hotspots in Australia. This was my first visit to the valley. I was disappointed during our brief visit. I didn't see some of the rarer birds known to inhabit this amazing landscape of towering sandstone cliffs.

When we stopped for afternoon tea at the small village of Glen Alice, I was pleased to see a solitary Diamond Firetail Finch, the one shown in today's photos. This beautiful member of the finch family is good to see anywhere and we even have this species as an occasional visitor to our garden. This was the only occasion I saw this finch on this particular five week holiday in New South Wales. It was a fitting addition to my bird list for the trip, and one of the highlights of the day.

Diamond firetail

Diamond Firetail

No comments: