Thursday, April 14, 2016

Topsy the Crested Pigeon

Crested Pigeon with extra long feathers

Over the last few months, my wife and I have been amused to see an unusual Crested Pigeon coming almost daily to the bird baths in our garden. We have many Crested Pigeons in our garden and on our five-acre block of land, but this one individual has caught our eye.

We can easily identify this individual due to its extra long feathers in its crest - see the photos to see what I mean. Some of the feathers are almost twice the normal length. I am not sure what has caused this, but we have called this bird "Topsy".

Many people here in South Australia wrongly call this species "Topknot" Pigeons. I grew up calling them this. Only in more recent years have I reverted to the correct and official common name of Crested Pigeon. There are Topknot Pigeons in Australia but this totally different species is confined to the eastern states.

You can read more about Australian birds and see more photos I have taken on my other site Trevor's Birding.

Crested Pigeon with extra long feathers

Crested Pigeon with extra long feathers

Crested Pigeon with extra long feathers



No comments: