Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Royal Spoonbill in the Adelaide Zoo

Royal Spoonbill in the Adelaide Zoo, South Australia
I love seeing spoonbills in their natural habitat. Ever since I saw my first one in the far north of South Australia in about 1978 I have enjoyed seeing both the Yellow-billed Spoonbill, and the Royal Spoonbill shown in today's photo.  Both are relatively common and widespread throughout much of Australia where there is suitable habitat.

We don't have many of either species near where I live in South Australia despite there being suitable environments for them. So whenever I visit the Adelaide Zoo I look for them in the walk through aviary.

You can read more about Australian birds and see more of my photos on my other site, Trevor's Birding, one of the most popular bird sites in the world.

No comments: