Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Magging with Magpies



Australian Magpie
Corinne and I were sitting outside enjoying the lovely spring weather while we ate our lunch. Bright cloudless sky, gentle breeze and about 20C. It doesn't get much better than this. Someone has to be out there watching our wonderful Australian birds.

Our local Australian Magpies are currently nesting. They refurbished the nest they used last year. In so many parts of Australia we would be cautious about going anywhere near an occupied nest for fear of being swooped. We are very pleased that "our" magpies have always been very friendly. In over 20 years of living here I've only ever been swooped once; that was my fault for attempting to imitate a magpie's call. (I must have used a swear word or some other indelicate phrase.)

Australian Magpie
Australian Magpie
I have been frustrated in recent weeks about not being able to get any really decent photos of the local magpies. They did not present any good opportunities for good shots - until lunch today. I included several of the shots taken today.

Read more about Australian Birds here

1 comment:

poet said...

well done. keep up the good work:)